Every year we end one to start another. All things come to a natural end and all things are born fresh and new from somewhere.
For most people, New Year is a time to start fresh and change attitudes, jobs, houses, start families, get pets or travel around the world even. For me it’s an amazing opportunity to tick another year off my list living a happy and fulfilling life surrounded by blankets and cups of tea, the little things we all take for granted.
Instead of looking back on areas in my life I should (and most probably won’t) improve on, I tend to look back on things I’m proud of and achieved. Life isn’t easy for any of us, even those of us with arguably better opportunities financially or physically, because everyone battles something and not one of us can truthfully claim to be perfect.
This year I’m proud to say I went another year being me, I’m true to myself, listen to my heart and most importantly have gained more experience and understanding about life and the world.
My top ten experiences from 2017
- 2017 was the first year I lived with a boyfriend and happily snuggled under blankets sipping tea in our own home.
- It was the first year I understood how important the body is and the impact foods and medicines can really have and that looking after our shells is vital.
- In 2017 I defended myself properly and didn’t take any foolishness from anyone! Something that yes is new to me.
- It was the first time I visited Eastern Europe, I adored parts of it and found the nature and scenery breathtaking, it also opened my eyes in some ways and made me realise how fortunate I am and my life has been.
- I tried my first deep fat fried mars bar. They’re actually incredible, don’t judge. It’s like a chunky chocolate crepe.
- My best friend from school had a baby and got married and asked me to be maid of honour – Also, I adore her her little boy George!
- I quit my city job because it was making me ill and started a career in Museums (weird huh?) also the best decision of the year as Jon got an incredible job at a museum also!
- Carina came to stay with me in England for the first time. Aurora and Kaja did also but it’s a traditional thing with them which makes it super special! The girls are all Norwegian and some of my best friends from University. It’s so wonderful when your friends come to stay and make the effort to do so, but when they fly across the globe to do so it makes a huge difference.
- I got used to sharing everything, a bed, sofa, bathroom and blankets. Jon even bought me a heated fleece blanket for Christmas, true love!
- My family are with me and I spent a great year visiting them all at home, theirs or having them visit me. One of the highlights was ice skating at Christmas!
As you can see, not all of my top ten are incredible and exciting, but to me they show growth and change in me as well as happiness and fun. I might not have included every detail (that’s what Instagram is for), but I certainly included a few key moments that mattered to me.
I’m really excited for 2018 and the year ahead to see what it might bring! What would your top ten of 2017 be and why?